The Salvation Army Red Shield Center: Modesto, California
Kidz Day is an annual Salvation Army event for the benefit of our local at-risk youth at The Salvation Army Red Shield Community Center (“Red Shield”) in South Modesto.
For 21 years The Salvation Army Red Shield has been holding this critical Kidz Day Event. 100% of the funds raised assists in providing our youth with spiritual, educational and athletic programs at the Red Shield. The Red Shield is a safe haven for these children in one of Modesto’s poorest neighborhoods. Kidz Day provides an opportunity for local people to help local children. Without this effort these children would not have the opportunities that our youth deserves.
On May 9th hundreds of volunteers will distribute copies of a special edition of a Morris Newspaper publication dedicated entirely to The Salvation Army Red Shield Center. This special newspaper will include articles and photographs describing the Red Shield’s programs for children in the Greater Modesto Area. We will be thanking all of our donors in a large thank you ad in Morris Publications newspapers and in The Modesto Bee. All of this to say…we need YOU
Here are some things that are happening at the center:
- Kids who come after school to the shield for tutoring and sports now get a free hot meal. Approximately 75 children per day are enjoying good food, and that number is consistently growing!
- Our boxing program continues had to thrive! Our boxers continue to compete in USA Boxing Club with annual sanction events held at The Red Shield. Our club has the Silver Glove Champ Andre! Andre represents Western Regional and his next tournament is in Missouri coming February 2017.
- The tutoring program that is helping children with homework and academic continues to expand. Children have a reading area, homework area and computer area. Kids continue to gain imporatant knowledge of computers during tutoring as part of their rotation!
- A newly renovated swimming pool has been added summer of 2016 with a waterslide and extending the swim season to six months a year.
- A new state of the art fitness center has been installed with up to date machines and wifi for individuals 16 years and up to enjoy.
- The gym and fitness hours have been extended twice a week until 9pm for 16 years and up. Giving community more opportunity to get fit and healthy.
Things are happening and change is being made in South Modesto, and we couldn’t have done it without the help of the community! You can be a part of this by giving us a donation or help us by selling papers on the street on Tuesday May 9, 2017.
Call for more information - 209-538-7111, or shoot us an email!